Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The desk experiment - Details


Above is my current "desk", as it sits at Lancet Software's world headquarters and nerve center. It started with a part of my office furniture that you see in the foreground - which was a perfect work surface for standing while working. In that incarnation, I slipped my HP notebook under the desktop (there's a perfect gap between top and some drawers for this) and added a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I also added a Plantronics CS50 wireless headset to my IP Phone. This allowed me the freedom to roam around the office and still be able to take phone calls easily.

When the treadmill arrived certain adjustments had to be made. The monitor had to be raised about 12 inches to get back to eye level. I'm currently using a case of printer paper to perform that duty while I look for a more permanent solution.

Two other problems demanded solution - a keyboard space that was solid, and auxiliary desk space for phone, in-box, coffee cup, etc.

I solved the keyboard problem with a trip to Home Depot - where I bought a 12"x36" piece of black (to match the treadmill) shelving. I added a 1 1/2" pipe strap, drilled appropriate holes and attached the shelf securly to the handgrip of the treadmill.



The auxilliary workspace has only a temporary solution at this point.



I'm using a trash can with a board on top - "holy college dorm room, batman!" It works for now, but I'm on the trail of a permanent solution.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jay Buster said...

That's a beautiful setup!

I hope to be walking and working soon just like you!

7:27 PM  
Blogger CP said...

i love your setup. I think it's easily the most aesthetically appealing of those I've seen on the net.

Have you made any other improvements on your design from your last post?

10:22 PM  
Blogger TrekGuy said...

I have been using my own setup for awhile as well. but also you might want to look at TrekDesk at www.trekdesk.com, they even incorporate an exercise ball chair.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home