Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Carputer update 1

We have GPS... and mobile internet...

Here's the hardware manifest so far:
- Computer: Sony Vaio SR7K, 256Mb Ram, 12Gb Disc, 600Mhz process (whee!)
- OS: Microsoft XP Media Center Edition
- GPS: Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS antenna
- Phone: Audiovox SMT5600 Smartphone, connected via bluetooth
- Targus bluetooth USB
- Targus wireless mini mouse
- Carputer front end: Centrafuse

I wiped the Vaio clean of 5 years of accumulated junk - took 'er down the bare metal as it were and started with a fresh install of XP MCE. I added the bluetooth USB connector, and I was able to easily connect to the internet via my smartphone. Should be nice for driving around - Nancy can navigate and check email while I drive.

Picked up a car power supply for the laptop... ready to go mobile with the rig and start testing this weekend on a trip to North Carolina...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home