Monday, March 14, 2005

Project: The Carputer

It seems time for a new project. So here we go...

I started by looking at ways to install a nice GPS/Navigation system in my car (2002 Infiniti I35). After looking around the web, I decided to aim a little higher and install an full Windows-based computer in the car. It looks like there are a lot of components arriving so that one could purchase a fully blown system right now, but I think it will be more fun to construct it from the ground up.

My initial requirements are:

GPS/Navigation
Connection to Internet (via my smartphone for now) - for weather, road conditions, restauraunts...
Bluetooth (for connection to smartphone)
Control of the phone - dialing from directory, hands free

Future upgrades may be to replace the car's sound system with DVD/MP3/CD play. For now, I'm leaving that alone, as the I35 has an insanely complex Bose system integrated into the dash that may be difficult to extricate. But the ultimate goal would be to pull that out and replace it with a touch panel video display.

For first steps, I've ordered a Holux GPS USB GPS receiver and a USB bluetooth dongle. I'm using an old Sony Vaio 700mhz laptop that weighs only a pound and a half and is very tiny. Initial testing will just use the laptop as is, powered by an inverter. The whole affair should slide under the passenger seat if needed.

Software testing has commenced while I wait for the GPS receiver... http://gpss.uk.co has shareware for non-commercial use. I'll take a look at some other GPS/Nav software also - iGuidance looks interesting.

I'm also testing CenterFuse as the controlling application - looks very nicely done and is also available as beta test version for free from http://www.mediaflux.com

I'll keep this updated and add photos as the project progesses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home